Storage & Handling Performance
This POD is used to design or modify storage and handling locations and capacities within supply chains according to the unique performance needs of a business.
These tools and techniques draw heavily from the latest industrial engineering and operations research literature particularly as it relates to logistics and inventory management, variability, economic order quantities, queue theory, stock aggregation and customer service.
Big Client Questions
- We operate with “weeks of stock” targets but how do I convert that to a bottom-up analysis using customer service targets, economic order quantities at the factories, demand seasonality and variability at the demand and supply sides? How do I do all this and still reduce my current assets?
- How do I decide which products should be Make-To-Stock and which ones should be Make-To-Order? How to I incorporate these decisions into a leveled rotating schedule for my processing facilities?
- I keep needing to break into schedules at our company-owned and 3rd party factories. How can I make the trade-off between Economic Order Quantities, inventories and lead times and still provide a smoothed schedule to our processing facilities?
- I’ve got a problem at a supplier. How do I need to adjust my inventories to account for the variability and shield the customer while the supplier gets the issues resolved?
- I have been asked to approve a project for a complex warehouse containing bulk storage, cross docking operations as well as sorting and picking operations. How do I make the trade-offs between inventory costs, transaction costs, and building costs? How do I then relate this to an overall technology strategy and warehouse layout?
POD Contents and Useful Business Insights
This POD (apart from POD6) is the most adaptable. The approach, and internal client resources required, will depend on the insights required.
We help guide resources through the data collection and analysis process and work with the client to decide on the most effective combination of:
- Executive sponsor
- Project leader
- Transport managers
- Inbound/outbound logistics managers
- Finance planner and S&OP coordinator
- IT Expert (for data collection)
- Plant schedulers
- Plant Managers
Bullant can deliver the business insights above by initially fulfilling the role of analyst and then, if required, working with the team to establish new ways of working. These projects move through the following phases;
- Project scoping and data collection
- Data analysis and validation
- Creation of the useful business insights
- Agreement in the different ways of working
- Agreement on the how the different ways of working will be implemented and maintained
- Implement the different ways of working